New Visiting Students

Visiting students include those who are on an exchange program from a different country (international exchange), a different state (domestic exchange programs e.g. University of New Mexico or University of New Hampshire), or a different University of California campus (Intercampus Visitor Program).  You may be here for one quarter or for one academic year.  You may be working on classes toward your major, or taking courses of interest.  Be sure that you understand what your home institution requires of you in terms of courses that you need, the number credits you are expected to enroll in, and grade-types they accept e.g. pass/no pass versus letter grades.  In most cases, you are likely to need the assistance of a department or major undergraduate adviser to help you with your enrollment in courses with prerequisites.  You may be advised to contact the applicable instructor for a permission number if necessary.


International Exchange students on either an F1 or J1 visa must attend a mandatory orientation provided by the International Education Office to learn about your requirements to stay in compliance with your visa status.  You are expected to be enrolled full-time in a minimum of 12 credits.  Exceptions for a Reduced Course Load may be granted only under specific circumstances.  You will have an opportunity to attend a college advising orientation in the fall during Welcome Week, and an international Education Office orientation specifically for visiting and matriculated international (F1 and J1) students.


You will be assigned an enrollment appointment time that you will be able to view in your student portal/student center.  By selecting "details," you will be able to see what day and time you may begin enrolling in classes.  (Be sure to check your portal for any enrollment holds that may prevent you from enrolling in classes.)  New students in their first quarter of enrollment at UCSC are prohibited from enrolling in more than 19 credits.  However, if your school requires that you enroll in more than 19 credits, please submit the Petition to Increase Credit Limt to  No student may enroll in more than 19 units until the first day of instruction.  Students often underestimate the mount of work that is required under our quarter system, and feel that 15 credits may not be academically challenging.  International students will often have to contact department advisers for enrollment assistance. You will be able to find contact information like email addresses and names of department/major advisers through the department's web sites.   

For a video tutorial on how to learn how to enroll in classes, search for classes, drop classes, swap classes and change the grade type, please click here. For a pdf version, please click here.