How to Activate Voicemail
Before your voicemail box will accept messages, you must activate your voicemail box by changing your pass code and recording a greeting. Until your voicemail box is activated, callers will hear a message saying, “I’m sorry, but the person you called did not activate the voice messaging service. Please try again later. Goodbye.” Follow the steps below to activate your voicemail.
Voicemail and Pass Code activation
This procedure can only be completed by one person. If you have a roommate(s), please coordinate with him or her before attempting to activate your voicemail box.
- From the telephone in your own room, dial ext.9-3000.
- The voice prompt will greet you ask you to enter your pass code. Enter your temporary pass code.
- The temporary pass code is the last 4 digits for of your phone number, which is written on the label of the envelope you received your keys in.
- The voicemail system tutorial will guide you through the process of entering your permanent pass code and recording your personal greeting and name. Please remember that other residents in the room may share your telephone line. If you change the voicemail pass code, be sure to let your roommate(s) know what the new pass code is.
- When you have completed the tutorial, your voicemail box will be ready to accept messages.
NOTE: If you are unable to log in to your voicemail using the pass code provided by your college housing office, ask your roommate whether he or she may have already changed the pass code. If he or she has not, please contact ITS at 831-459-HELP, or online at http://itrequest.ucsc.edu.
New Message Notification
When a message is left in your voicemail box, an interrupted dial tone is activated in your telephone. When you lift the receiver, this interrupted dial tone will let you know if there is an unplayed message waiting for you. The interrupted dial tone will remain on the line until every unplayed message in the mailbox has been listened to. If you have listened to a message that is for your roommate and want them to know that there is a message waiting, you can leave a new message to re-activate the interrupted dial tone.